“If you don’t eat meat, what DO you eat?“
For the last 18 years of being a vegetarian, people have asked me, “If you don’t eat meat, what DO you eat?” My answer has been “I eat everything else.” This is a sneak peek into the life of one vegetarian. Starting today, I’ll be sharing everything I eat for the next year. The real deal, from junk food snacks to home cooked farmer’s market meals. Nothing’s off the table, you’ll see it all. Follow daily from Photo Kitchen’s Instagram (or follow the hashtag #whatavegetarianeats365) and come back here for recipes and such.
Find more information about underlined items (such as recipes) at the bottom of the page.
1. Chana Masala: An Indian dish with chickpeas in a rich tomato sauce over rice.
2. Cherry Pop-Tarts
3. Fried Eggs and Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties (vegetarian breakfast sausage.)
4. Tabouli Salad: A Greek dish with parsley, chickpeas, feta and lemon.
5. Provolone Grilled Cheese
7. Creamy Purple Kale Pasta with Lemon
8. Avocado and clementines
9. Cheerios and Hartzler Farms milk
10. Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteak
11. Sushi with avocado, carrot and cucumber
12. Taco Bowl with quinoa, Quorn Meatfree Grounds, salsa, and taco style cheese
13. Gold Rush apple with homemade “trail mix” butter
14. Creamy Purple Kale Pasta with Lemon and Shaved Parmesan
15. Provolone Grilled Cheese and a bowl of black olives
16. Bourbon-soaked cherries
17. Harvest Snaps Snapea Crisps
18. Clementines and Dove dark chocolate
19. Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteak
20. Tabouli Salad: A Greek dish with parsley, chickpeas, avocado, feta and lemon.
21. Canned cranberry sauce
Chana Masala Recipe
(adapted from Vegetarian Times Magazine)
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. add cumin seeds, and cook until they begin to pop, about 30 seconds. Add onions, and cook until they begin to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, jalapeno, garam masala, and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
Tabbouli Salad Ingredients
Curly parsley, chickpeas, quinoa, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil
Creamy Purple Kale Pasta with Lemon Ingredients
Spaghetti, chickpeas, purple kale, shallots, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, heavy whipping cream, and fresh rosemary
Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteak Ingredients
Red pepper, onion, mushroom, provolone cheese, banana peppers, pickles, mustard, Vegannaise, oregano, on a sub bun
Trail Mix Butter
Peanuts, cashews, dried cherries, raisins, sunflower seeds ground up in a food processor.