"For the last 18 years of being a vegetarian, people have asked me, "If you don't eat meat, what DO you eat?" My answer has been "I eat everything else." See everything one vegetarian eats for an entire year. Follow daily from Photo Kitchen's Instagram (or follow hashtag #whatavegetarianeats365) and come back here for recipes and such.
Find more information about items in bold (such as recipes) at the bottom of the page.
1. Tofu Curry
2. Gummy Bears and Dove Chocolate
3. Tortilla chips with cheddar and salsa
4. Trader Joe's meatless meatballs, marinara sauce, mozzarella and roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar
5. Field Roast sage apple sausageless sausage, roasted cauliflower, brussels sprouts, homemade stuffing and balsamic vinegar
6. Baked potato soup topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream and parsley
7. Trader Joe's fruit jellies
8. Roasted cauliflower, brussels sprouts, homemade stuffing and balsamic vinegar
9. Bagel with Tofurky Pepp'roni, marinara sauce and mozzarella
10. Fried eggs and Trader Joe's hash browns
11. Field Roast sage apple sausageless sausage, roasted cauliflower, brussels sprouts, homemade stuffing and balsamic vinegar
12. Bagel with Tofurky Pepp'roni, marinara sauce and mozzarella
13. Homemade Stuffing
15. Poppy and sesame seed rice thins and cheddar cheese
16. Baked potato soup topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream, parsley and crispy kale
17. Atlantic Beach Pie
18. Roasted Butternut Squash, Dried Cherries, Goat Cheese and Toasted Squash Seeds
19. Fried Eggs and Trader Joe's hash browns with ketchup
20. Spaghetti, Marinara, Fried Egg and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar
22. Tofurky Kielbasa Style Sausage topped with yellow mustard, relish and shredded cheddar cheese in buns
23. Banana with orange marmalade, chocolate chips and peanut butter
24. Green peas topped with marinara sauce and grated Parmesan, toasted Ciabatta bread with butter
25. KitKat, Snickers and Twizzlers
26. Fried Eggs and Trader Joe's hash browns with ketchup
27. Spaghetti with sauteed kale, marinara sauce and grated Parmesan
28. Zapp's Cajun Dill Gator-Tators and Salt & Vingar potato chips
29. Spaghetti with sauteed kale, marinara sauce and grated Parmesan
30. Banana with orange marmalade, chocolate chips, cashews and peanut butter
31. Watermelon Radish Chips
32. Pineapple Coconut Bread and Zucchini Bread
Tofu Curry (adapted from Martha Stewart)
14 oz. extra firm tofu, drained
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped fine
3 tbsp curry powder
8 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup lite coconut milk
2 cups green beans
1 cup shredded carrots
3 radishes, chopped
1 cup roasted cauliflower (optional)
1 large tomato, chopped
lots of salt and pepper
3 cups cooked white rice
Cut tofu into slices, then diagonally. Arrange on a baking sheet in one layer and cover with something heavy to drain, about 20 minutes. Discard liquid.
Heat olive oil in a large, tall pan on medium high heat. Add tofu and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto a plate. Lower temperature to medium. Add remaining oil, onion and curry powder. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook about 1 minute.
Add coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Return tofu to skillet. Add green beans and tomatoes. Cover and cook about 4 minutes, or until beans are tender. Taste sauce and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.
4 cups of croutons (toasted, dehydrated bread)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp dried thyme
Heat olive oil in a small pot. Add onion and celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft and browning. Add butter to pan and let melt. Add vegetable broth and heat thoroughly. Remove from stove. Place croutons in a large bowl with room to stir. Slowly add broth mixture to the bread, stirring frequently until most of the bread is coated. Keep stirring until evenly mixed Serve immediately.
Baked Potato Soup
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 cubes vegetable boullion
* 2 large russet potatoes, cubed
* 1 cup half-and-half cream
* Optional Toppings: Shredded Cheddar cheese, minced fresh parsley, scallions, sour cream, crispy kale
Heat olive oil in pan, then saute onion and garlic until tender.
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until just tender (but not falling apart). Drain half the water, keeping the rest with the potatoes. Add boullion cubes and stir. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Bring to boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the cream. Heat through but do not boil. Garnish.
34. Fruit salad with pineapple, oranges, blueberries, apples and bananas
35. Homemade Orange Rolls
36. Salad with broccoli, tomatoes, Morningstar Veggie Bacon and Vegenaise dressing
37. Trader Joe's Veggie Chorizo with fried eggs, sauteed kale and shredded cheddar
38. Kale Caesar Salad with radishes
39. Banana with orange marmalade and chocolate chips
40. Buttermilk Biscuit
41. Morningstar Farms Black Bean Burgers with Vegenaise, yellow mustard, shredded cheddar and homemade pickles
42. German Chocolate Pie and Lemon Meringue Pie
43. Morningstar Farms BBQ Veggie Riblets, Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Brussels Sprouts
44. Marble cheddar, saltines and black olives
45. Broccoli Cheddar Soup
46. Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots and Hummus
47. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Lemon Shortbread and Dried Cherry Shortbread
48. Morningstar Farms Black Bean Burgers with Vegenaise, yellow mustard, shredded cheddar and homemade pickles
Homemade Orange Rolls
MAKES TWO 9 INCH ROUND PANS
* 2 packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
* 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten
* 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
* Cooking spray
* 1 stick butter, melted
* 3 tablespoons grated orange rind
* 3 tblsp cinnamon
* 1/2 cup sugar
ICING (this is the recipe already cut in half)
* 1/2 stick butter, softened
* 1/2 package (4 oz.) cream cheese, softened
* 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (about 2 lbs.)
* 1 tablespoons milk
* 1 tablespoon orange juice
* 1 tablespoon orange zest
* You can prepare icing ahead of time and refrigerate, covered. (Icing directions are listed at the end.)
* To prepare dough, dissolve yeast in warm water in a Pyrex measuring cup (to keep the water warm from being microwaved); let stand 10 minutes or until it's gained about an inch of foam.
Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons softened butter, salt, and egg, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 cups flour to yeast mixture; beat until smooth.
Add 1 cup flour to yeast mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, ONE HOUR+ minutes or until doubled in size. Best to do in oven or microwave with hot, steaming water. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
Have melted butter ready to go, and mix in a separate bowl the cinnamon, sugar, and orange rind.
Roll out dough to about 1 inch thick. Flatten dough down onto the surface. Brush or pour some butter onto dough. Then sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mix on the top, coating the dough at least on one side, both sides if preferred.
Roll the dough up. Cut into 12 portions and place into a 9" round cake pan, pie pan, or square baking pan. Cover and let rise 25 minutes or until doubled in size.
Uncover dough. Bake at 350º for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Top with icing.
To Make Icing:
In medium mixer bowl, cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add sugar and milk. Mix well. Beat on high until smooth (only 30 seconds to 1 minute). Makes about 2 cups of icing.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup from blog: http://butyoucancallmecrazy.blogspot.com/2010/11/broccoli-cheddar-soup.html
* 6 tbsp. butter, divided
* ¾ cup onion, chopped
* 1 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
* 4 cups small broccoli florets
* 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* ½ tsp. onion salt
* ½ tsp. garlic powder
* 4 tbsp. flour
* 2 cups milk
* 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* Freshly ground black pepper
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the carrots to the pan and cook a couple minutes more. Stir in the broccoli, chicken broth, onion salt and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, whisking constantly. Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened, whisk in the cheese until completely melted. Remove from the heat and add the cheese sauce to the soup pot. Allow to simmer until warmed through and broccoli is tender. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. If desired, puree the soup with an immersion blender for a smooth texture.
Start of by sauteing onions in some butter until they are translucent. Add in 1 c. of shredded/grated carrots.
Add in broccoli, chicken broth, garlic powder, and onion salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
While the soup is coming to a boil and simmering, work on your cheese sauce. Make a roux of butter and flour. Whisk in 2 c. of milk and stir until thickened. I'm inpatient, so I turned up the heat and it was done in about 3-4 minutes. If you also suffer with impatience, make sure you whisk it constantly or it will stick and/or burn.
After it has thickened, whisk in 2 c. of shredded cheddar. This soup is worth the effort of grating your own cheese. And you already have the grater/food processor out thanks to the carrots, right? I wasn't able to get a pic of the completed cheese sauce as it came together so fast, but you see the flour, butter, and milk below.
After the cheese sauce has been added to the soup, season it with salt and pepper and either serve all chunky, remove some chunks and puree the rest (my choice), or puree all of it. Become admired for your mad culinary abilities by friends and loved ones. (I can't promise the latter, but I would be willing to bet you a cup of this soup on it.)
1. BLT with Morningstar Veggie Bacon, Vegenaise, and sliced tomatoes
2. Morningstar Veggie Bacon and Egg Salad Sandwich
3. Dark Chocolate Covered Superberries
4. Salad with mushrooms, shredded carrots, parsley and caesar dressing
5. Broccoli Cheddar Soup
6. Wild Rice Salad and Quorn Chick'n Tenders
8. Cranberry sauce and whipped cream
9. Snappea and parsley lemon cream pasta
10. Baba ghanoush and hummus on toasted pita
11. Carmelized onion, goat cheese and rosemary flatbread
12. Hot Chocolate
13. Fried egg and balsamic brussels sprouts
14. Snappea and parsley lemon cream pasta
15. Cranberry sauce
16. Wild Rice Salad
17. Big Spoon Spiced Chai Peanut/Almond Butter
18. Fried Eggs
19. Vegetable Soup
20. Brioche bread with vegenaise, button mushrooms, red onion and cucumber
21. Toasted ciabatta bread with cream cheese and olives
22. Trader Joe's fruit jellies
23. Anthony Thomas Buckeyes
24. Cranberry sauce
25. A Taste of Vietnam Vegetarian Pho
26. Vegetable Soup
27. Morningstar Farms BBQ Veggie Riblets
28. Toasted ciabatta bread with cream cheese, cucumbers, mushrooms and dried dill
29. Trader Joe's Veggie Chorizo, Shredded Cheddar and Tortilla Chips
30. Fried Eggs
31. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Dried Cherry Shortbread and Lemon Shortbread
32. Vegetable Soup with shredded cheddar
33. Tofurky Kielbasa Style Sausage
34. Pickle Popcorn with Dill
35. Jorgensen Farms Cream of Mushroom Soup with saltines
36. Mr. Falafel Falafel with dipping sauce
38. Bellisari's Bleu Cheese, Honey and Shallot Spread on endive spears with chopped walnuts
39. Jimmy John's Veggie Sub
40. Fruit and Nut Bread
41. Baked Pasta, Vegetable Soup and Garlic Bread
42. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
43. La Chatelaine Cherry Custard Pie and Hot Chocolate Bowl
45. Just Pies Cherry Pie
46. Party food
47. Party food
48. Party food
1. Pineapple, cucumber, egg salad, guacamole, hummus, nut thins, tortilla chips, snappea crisps
2. Steak Escape Veggie Sub and Cajun Fries (sans steak)
3. Black raspberry donut
4. Broccoli Cheddar Soup
5. Thai Grille Curry Puffs
6. Frisch's Big Boy salad bar
7. Frisch's Big Boy soup
8. Graeter's Frozen Mango Sorbet
9. Thai Grille Tofu Curry
10. Dessert Crepe
11. Chipotle Veggie Burrito
12. Marco's Green Olive and Banana Pepper Pizza
13. Christmas Brunch
14. Zucchini, caper, Parmesan and lime juice in tortilla chips
15. Veggie Tacos
16. Puppy Chow and Chocolate Brownie
17. Northstar Cafe Ginger Ale
18. Dried Cherry Shortbread